[Techtalk] INIT weirdness fixed

BUNTER MATTHEW Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com
Tue Jul 16 09:53:00 EST 2002

--- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             16/07/02 09.53

All,

Just thought that I'd let you know how I got on with the booting problem
that I was having and how I resolved it. We're all into Linux for the
learning experience right!!

So I was getting the Kernel panic error message and after some suggestions
from the list and Google searches tried just about everything I could think
of. Then late at night I thought REINSTALL. But cleverly (for once) I slowed
down, took a deep breath and decided that I'd better back up the Windows
stuff first.

Since I couldn't boot except for using a Linux floppy I couldn't get to
Windows. Out came the Windows boot disk, got to a DOS prompt and fdisk /mbr.
I then rebooted and up came Windows. I did my back up - 3G worth of stuff -
and found it was too late to do the reinstall so went to bedybyes. I didn't
touch the laptop all weekend.

Today before reinstalling I did another search and found some docs on LILO
 (I was thinking can I just reinstall LILO). This guy said that if NT or any
other OS was installed and wrote over the MBR then by doing /sbin/lilo one
could get the lilo stuff back.

So I recreated my /etc/lilo.conf. This time I called Windows Windows instead
of Windows 2000 and linux Linux instead of Red Hat. I also took out the
lba32 line.

Ran /sbin/lilo, the laptop seemed happy so I shutdown and rebooted.

As they say in Greece : Eureka!!!

Cheers for all the suggestions BTW, I'm still not sure exactly why it didn't
work the first time. The only thing I am sure of is that I have no need of
lba32 support.

Matt

  -> TECHTALK(a)LINUXCHIX.ORG