[techtalk] mandrake weirdness

Tania Morell tmorell at myquadrant.net
Fri Jul 12 17:30:37 EST 2002

not sure what you call it when you hit ctrl+alt+F<1-6> to get a new terminal/shell/whatever   but when I attempt to do this with my workstation while x is still running, I get no terminal. (as you'd expect.)  instead I get a frozen image of my X desktop ..   When I hit alt+ctrl+F7, then it takes me back to regular X and i can move the mouse again.    If I kill X completely or init 3, then I get a frozen, blank, blue screen instead.

anyone ever encounter this problem before?    so far noone i've asked has ever seen it.  I've STFW and can't find mention of a similar problem.

I guess I could just reboot to clear it up but I have 317 day uptime on this thing and really don't want to mess that up.  ;)     can anyone think of any quick fixes?

-T