[Techtalk] More fiddling-generated problems

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Tue Jul 9 11:50:21 EST 2002

Hi, and thanks to Nils and Raven! (I'm secretly hugging myself for even
almost working out what was going on...)

Nils, I added the rule you suggested, and it was already there; it just
causes

 ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

to appear twice.

I'm assuming the first DROP rule is my problem - is it a fall-through set of
rules?

And (after much searching) I don't know where the rules live; I get this by
doing iptables -L and sending the output to a file. If I make changes (once I
have an idea of what changes to make), how do I make them permanent? I've
read through the manpage for iptables and it's not apparent that there's a
set of rules anywhere that gets read?

Here's the original set of rules (apologies for length):

-----

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             127.0.0.0/8
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       all  --  BASE-ADDRESS.MCAST.NET/4  anywhere
PUB_IN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
PUB_IN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
PUB_IN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
PUB_OUT    all  --  anywhere             anywhere
PUB_OUT    all  --  anywhere             anywhere
PUB_OUT    all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain INT_IN (0 references)
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain INT_OUT (0 references)
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain PUB_IN (3 references)
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp
destination-unreachable
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp echo-reply
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp time-exceeded
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:telnet
state INVALID,NEW limit: avg 5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp state
INVALID,NEW limit: avg 5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:imap
state INVALID,NEW limit: avg
5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:finger
state INVALID,NEW limit: avg 5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:sunrpc
state INVALID,NEW limit: avg 5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:exec
state INVALID,NEW limit: avg
5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:login
state INVALID,NEW limit: avg 5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:tacnews
state INVALID,NEW limit: avg 5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh state
INVALID,NEW limit: avg 5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:31337
state INVALID,NEW limit: avg 5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
LOG        icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp echo-request
state INVALID,NEW limit: avg 5/sec burst 8 LOG level warning prefix `audit'
DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain PUB_OUT (3 references)
REJECT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp
destination-unreachable reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp
time-exceeded reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

-----

Thanks so much!

-----
Trish Fraser, Sunbury, Australia