[Techtalk] Linux on a laptop problem

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jul 8 17:15:41 EST 2002

James wrote:

> That's the traditional Linux community split.  Some of it wants to
> remain a hacker type thing, while others want it to go mainstream.  Each
> has its pros and cons.
>
> But I just see the need for corporate cash to keep competitive and up to
> date development going, especially in the realm of desktop computing.
> But then it becomes a catch22 situation of 'noone uses linux, so no
> corporation is going to fund linux development' and 'not enough
> development occurs in some areas, so noone uses linux'.
>
> Some people might find it fine that most Linux stuff remains a community
> developed thing.  But think about it: if you had a paid team working on
> something like ACPI support (;p), don't you think it might get done
> faster and possibly better than something done in someones spare time
> around their regular job/school schedule?

Not to mention the fact that the more people who are using it, the more
software do we see (free or commercial), and the less those of us who'd
be doing Linux irregardless have to maintain an M$ system on the side.

Personally, I'd like to see anyone able to use Linux, not just experts
(to which category I count myself); as long as the experts *can* get
underneath.

Heck, pretty soon it might be the only alternative to Microsoft
Palladium "you don't own your computer, we do..."

	-hpa