[Techtalk] Installing applications - a big thank-you!

Val Henson val at nmt.edu
Sun Jul 7 22:47:29 EST 2002

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 08:36:18PM -0400, ETKirk at aol.com wrote:
> Just wanted to send a big thanks to Gawain, Jenn, Dave, and Hamster for the
> help and encouragement.  I decided to make it easy on myself and get the RPM
> version of Bluefish, which I hadn't known was available.  I had it
> downloaded, installed, and up and running in about 5 minutes.  I would still
> like to master the art of compiling and installing from source, but after
> spending the better part of a day with nothing to show for it, I had no
> qualms about taking the easy way out.

I've been using Linux for nigh on 7 years now, and occasionally I've
had more trouble installing an RPM than you had compiling from
source. :) When an RPM is available, I try that first and save
compiling from source as a last resort.  Although, for a while I was
using ULTRIX on a DEC 5000, and I had no choice but to compile
EVERYTHING from source - not exactly difficult, just boring and
repetitive.  As Dave says, though, -most- of the time it's as simple
as:

 ./configure
 make install

Congrats, and I hope Linux continues to be fun for you!

-VAL