[Techtalk] ELF

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Sun Jul 7 13:18:37 EST 2002

Carla:
> howdy,

yo.

> I gather that ELF is the native Linux binary file format. fine n dandy- I'm
> seeing a lot of pages on converting to ELF from an older file format. Is this
> really an issue in these modern time?

Seldom if ever. The odds are slim you're going to run into anything nonELF
without being well warned, or just flat-out looking for it.
	Or, better: I haven't seen anything in a long, long time.

> Do older apps in the old format have to be recompiled?

The kernel can still manage older formats if compiled to do so, which I
expect means the answer is, no. What I don't know is if your kernel is so
compiled, or has the module available (or, for that matter, if that
particular feature is modularized ...)

Dave