[Techtalk] Installing applications

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Sat Jul 6 16:05:03 EST 2002

Hamster:
> I have had the exact some error cause it the -devel packages were missing.

My thought exactly, so I tested it (Debian Woody, okay, but the same
problems ensue).
	More to the point, if you use the rpm (or, more logically, the
.deb) for the binary, none of this is a problem and it will just install.
Worked for me, anyway.
	Since you have the personal edition, there may be some odd
"holes" in what they supplied (I don't know) but you can usually
find suse rpms on the web somewhere.
	I can't help you with install, etc, on SuSE 8.0 -- I've been
running SuSE for many years, but they broke the old installer in 8 (or
rather threw it out) and I'm completely lost (with no intention of
bothering to learn. SuSE be off my radar with 8,0 ... but then virtually
everything broke on my system, so it would be a loooong larning curve).

While I was at it, I took a quick glance at bluefish: very  colorful!
Looks like it might be useful, too.

Dave