[Techtalk] 501 syntactically invalid HELO argument(s)

paul paul at milltech.co.za
Mon Jul 1 08:31:45 EST 2002

Good Morning

I am running an e-smith SME 5 server using qmail. I am getting the
following error trying to send mail to aol.com

Connected to 66.8.86.4 but my name was rejected.
>Remote host said: 501 syntactically invalid HELO argument(s) I'm not
>going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

The /control/me and helohost files have entries to say which domain the
mail is coming from. I am at a loss at this point. I have spoken to the
e-smith discussion forum and have had no reply regarding this problem.
If you have any suggestions they would be most welcomed at this point.

Thanking you in advance

paul