[Techtalk] simple reference book on Linux

KLitman323 at aol.com KLitman323 at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 01:36:11 EST 2002

<< Message: 11
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:42:41 -0600 (CST)
From: "Glenda R. Snodgrass" <grs at theneteffect.com>
To: <techtalk at linuxchix.org>
Subject: [Techtalk] simple reference book on Linux
Can anyone recommend a simple reference book on Linux?  My partner says there
used to be an Oreilly pocket reference book, he thinks, but I can't seem to
find it.  We have a client experimenting with Linux on the desktopat home,
but he has no background in *nix at all, and he could really usea basic
reference book on commands like ls | > cat and stuff like that.Any
recommendations?-- Glenda R. Snodgrass >>

I'd be interested in such a book, too.

I have NO Linux experience, and going through the "Essential System
Administration" book by Aeileen Frisch and published by O'Reilly is not doing
me much good.

I'm actually more confused now than I was before.  The commands I did learn,
are not in the book's earliest chapters (at least most of them), and what is
in there I can't seem to get a grasp on.

I'm trying the recommended Chapter a day -- but its rough.

Karen MacLeod