[Techtalk] DHCPd and my gateway's routing table.

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Wed Jan 30 00:06:31 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Mary Gardiner (Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 10:33:42AM +1100):
> The first is 192.168.0.3, a Red Hat 7.2 box. As I understand it though,
> as it is the DHCPd host, there is no way to get it to query itself for
> network information before it brings up it's own network!

	Nope, to the best of my knowledge.  DHCPd has some pretty severe
limitations as opposed to some commercial offerings, but it's great for
small networks.

> The second is 192.168.0.1, a Debian woody box, the gateway. I don't see
> any reason why this one can't use DHCP, except for the routing table.

	What is the benefit of using DHCPd for this host?  Since the IP
address is hard-coded into your dhcpd.conf, that doesn't really save you
anything.  One centralized place for nameserver info?  I'd be surprised
if you were using the bootp options or anything.  But if you want to
keep it DHCPd...

> At the moment I have a global option:
>
>         option routers 192.168.0.1;

	Change that from a global option to one for the group of
everything but your router's host entry.  (Post your dhcpd.conf if you
want comments on the overall structure, but it should be pretty easy to
pull out that one entry and make it separate.)

	IIRC, that will cause no routing information to be sent to that
host on boot, but all the others will still get their default gateway
set properly.

	Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Raven

"Don't get in my way when I'm running from your wife!"
  -- Louis, after accidentally socking RavenBlack in the jaw