[Techtalk] Two Totally off-the wall Questions

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Sat Jan 26 10:48:38 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 03:59, wny-tc at juno.com wrote:
> Hi.  Keith here in the Depths of the Great Bergen Swamp
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1 - If I want to set up an old PC as just a Linux Email box, what do I
> need for hard drive space?  I have a couple of old Pentiums here, a 75
> MHz with 24 MB RAM and a 540 MB HD and a 233 MHz with 64 MB RAM and a 1.6
> GB HD.  I am sure that the larger, faster one will hack it, but how about
> the old/slow box?

This depends on what you want to use for an e-mail client.  Do you plan
on running X?  How much mail do you intend to store on the computer?
Does it need the server functions as well or will it be connecting
through another server?

I can't give an answer in the end, but I thought I would get things
started with collecting more information.