[Techtalk] X problems that only manifest when starting KNode

Rachel Andrew lists at rachelandrew.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 13:49:24 EST 2002

Hi

I have a strange problem. This machine is a Debian (testing) installation
which I update daily and I'm using KDE.

At some point a couple of weeks ago KNode (KDE newsreader) just stopped
launching from the menus, everything else (KMail, Konqueror, the office apps)
all work fine.

I am logged in as my user (logging in with kdm). If I log in as my user at
the shell and then start KDE with startx I can get KNode running by typing
knode at the commandline ina terminal window - however it forgets all its
settings.

When logged in as my user via kdm however, if I try to start KNode from the
commandline I get the following errors:

_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOPServer up and running.
trying to create local folder: File exists
trying to create local folder: File exists
trying to create local folder: File exists
Property 'Export' is defined multiple times (KOfficeFilterDialog)
Property 'Import' is defined multiple times (KOfficeFilterDialog)
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
kded: cannot connect to X server :0.0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-13305' to 'kded'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
knode: cannot connect to X server :0.0
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
louis:/etc/X11# kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.

Everything else is fine, this only seems to happen with KNode, I can see
there is some kind of authorisation problem - but why does it only happen if
I log in with kdm? Whichever way I log in KNode won't start from the menus
and also forgets its settings so maybe I have 2 separate problems here, I'd
love to know how to start sorting it out though!

Rachel