[Techtalk] Theory vs. practice

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 01:44:38 EST 2002

Val Henson wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 08:09:45PM -0500, Jeff Dike wrote:
> >
> > And many of the loudest participants on lkml aren't kernel developers...
>
> :) I'm sorry - I realize that many of the best kernel developers don't
> even post on l-k.  When you see people who are pushing for (and have
> written the patches for) a preemptive Linux kernel, and these selfsame
> people don't understand priority inversion or think it is a
> problem... That's when I *fear* for the future of Linux.

So ... do these people even understand serialization?  Because
life inside a pre-emptible kernel gets really =weird=.

I did a one-hour brown bag at work on kernel programming.  I
described the AIX kernel as "not just multi-threaded, but
=insanely= multi-threaded".
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.