[Techtalk] Theory vs. practice

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 15 22:17:29 EST 2002

Val Henson wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 06:32:14PM -0500, Malcolm& wrote:
> >
> > That's just plain scary. It explains some of the people I run into
> > (I had someone complain about me using "big words" recently when asking
> > what the options for doing some code migration were. I didn't know
> > 'refactoring' was a big word).
>
> I have you beat.  A recent thread about preemptive kernels on
> linux-kernel included several people who dismissed the problem of
> priority inversion as "blowing smoke" and "not a big deal."

Oh.  My.  God.

> Of course, many participants in Linux kernel development don't have a
> college education that you could blame for their ignorance.  Is the
> bitterness showing through yet? :)

Don't be bitter.  At some point in the future people will
realize that Linux is nice for systems that don't have to
run all the time, and that if you want something you can
trust with your life, you have to go back to the proprietary
vendors.  Then you'll have job security ;-)
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.