(Re: [Techtalk] Theory vs. practice) AKA men vs women

Jodie Mann jomann22 at zonnet.nl
Tue Jan 15 09:10:35 EST 2002

Unfortunately, as with the battles of the sexes in any field of
employment, stufy, life, there will never be agreement, purely because
we are different.

Personally, I feel men and women should be treated as men and women and
not get themselves all caught up in "who is better off than who".

Its tough being a women in a very male orientated environment... but
hell, if a women is smart she will use that to her advantage. I work as
a hardware consultant for Shell, one the most male chauvinist companies
I've ever come across... but I haven't really had a single problem. If
someone gives me hassle and its blatantly because I'm a girl, I ask
them straight, "sir do you think I am any less capable because I am
female... do you even know what a network cable is???":-)

If they still give you problems, shove em to someone else (God I love
delegation/escalation). You dont deserve that treatment, they dont
deserve your help or your intelligence.

As far as study goes, maybe I was lucky growing up in South Africa. In
school we were taught about every field of study in our carreer
guidance classes. We were also put to apptitude tests (where sex was
not even registered) to discover where our talents lay... that was my
first invitation to the world of computers in fact. My parents weren't
the motivating types, or rather, they motivated us to be individuals
and do the best we could do but we were not expected to achieve the top
marks... I was a drama student and had no interest in computing
whatsoever until that fateful apptitude test.

And now I'm beginning to lose my own plot methinks... But to cut it to
a nice short point.

We may not have been encouraged (as females) into more technical
carreers... but the past is the past... learn from it and teach your
kids!

regards
Jodie