[Techtalk] Theory vs. practice

Val Henson val at nmt.edu
Mon Jan 14 17:42:40 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 06:32:14PM -0500, Malcolm& wrote:

> That's just plain scary. It explains some of the people I run into
> (I had someone complain about me using "big words" recently when asking
> what the options for doing some code migration were. I didn't know
> 'refactoring' was a big word).

I have you beat.  A recent thread about preemptive kernels on
linux-kernel included several people who dismissed the problem of
priority inversion as "blowing smoke" and "not a big deal."

Of course, many participants in Linux kernel development don't have a
college education that you could blame for their ignorance.  Is the
bitterness showing through yet? :)

-VAL