[Techtalk] Theory vs. practice

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 14 03:15:38 EST 2002

Xp0nential Xp0nential wrote:

> Hey All @-@
>
> >Yes, but programmers aren't being taught how to avoid these coding
> >errors, or what errors to avoid.
>
> Very true. In the academic environment there are few schools (if there
> are any) who actually have a course that deals with code security.
> Because of that,this is something that you have to learn by yourself.
> That's why participating in coding projects (open source) helps learning
> about those stuff. That's at least from my own experience.

What I'm describing has nothing at all to do with coding
security.  It has everything to do with very basic (as in,
first year university) skills -- things like, oh, never
copy more data into a buffer than it can handle, validate
your parameters, know what your code is actually supposed
to be doing.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.