[Techtalk] Re: [Issues] kernel hacking class

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Jan 10 18:46:22 EST 2002

Val Henson writes:
> One thing I would be very very interested in using the new list for is
> teaching Linux kernel development to women.  I'm lonely!  If you've
> ever thought, "Gee, I'd like to write kernel code, but I don't even
> know where to start," then pipe up and let me know you're interested!

Count me in!  I have the O'Reilly kernel book and the device drivers
book, and I have no trouble following their discussions of the basics of
writing a really simple char device driver that prints "Hello world" or
something like that.  But I don't find the information in the books very
useful in solving a useful real-world problem, such as "Where do I
start if I want to add write capability to the currently read-only
sddr09 usb-storage driver?  Should I start by learning smartmedia
protocol, usb specs, scsi, filesystem, or what?"  or even "What do I
need to patch to extend the Visor usb-serial driver to handle a Clie?"
Neither of the books addresses usb at all, though it's (IMO) the part
of Linux where new drivers are most desperately needed (and I sure
would like to do my part to help!)

I found #kernelnewbies, a very cool IRC channel, but I haven't even
gotten far enough along to where I can come up with concrete questions
to ask on the channel.

Drat, that got technical so I've re-added techtalk even though
I hate to crosspost ... should probably follow up to talktalk only.

	...Akkana