Memory Accounting, JDKs [was: Re: [Techtalk] Java on Linux]

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Thu Jan 10 17:39:29 EST 2002

At 11:28 on Jan 11, Jenn Vesperman combined all the right letters to say:

> Have you tried running 'top', particularly 'top -i'? That's my general
> 'what's slowing things down?' tool.

The problem is that it's hard to watch top in a cron job ;o) I need to
know what things look like when I'm not here (and when nobody's here).

That was everyone's gut response -- look at top! But then when they were
reminded that top was a tool you watch not a tool you parse, they thought
twice ("there must be a way in ps! let's try ps!").

-nicole