[Techtalk] Re: [Grrltalk] C programming 'course'

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Wed Jan 9 23:53:34 EST 2002

I think I sent an earlier message private by mistake.  Although R's book
belongs in everyone's library, it's really a good book for learning C.  At
least that was my thoughts in 1984 or so when I started using C.

> <<
>  I like a book called A Book on C by Al Kelley and Ira Pohl. I'm not
>  sure it is being manufactured, though.
>  Lynn Kuhlman
>   >>

> There are a lot of sites where you can find out of print, and/or used
> books.

You probably want to use a book based on standard C, at least the 1989
standard.  You should use prototypes religiously, use stdargs instead of
varargs, and not use K&R parameter definitions.

I'm not sure of gcc has command line option that more or less treats
prototypes like C++.  In C, a missing prototype is treated as if it was
int function() which in turn is treated like "int function(...)".  In C++,
calling a function where neither the declaration nor definition have been
is a compiler error, and a prototype with an empty parameter list means
that it takes no parameters (same as int function(void) in C).

Ok, sorry for the digression.  As you can tell, i'd be happy to answer any
C or C++ questions.

--
Kathryn