[Techtalk] Hosting multiple websites from one user on Apache

Almut Behrens almut_behrens at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 04:51:01 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 06:16:14PM -0800, Amber wrote:
> Hey all, I have been poking around with this for a few days now, and
> haven't gotten it to work quite right yet. Does anyone know what has to
> be done in httpd.conf to get more than one site hosting off of a users
> directory?

hmm, I'm not sure whether I fully understand what you are trying to
achieve :)

> I am setting the document root as just another folder in my home
> directory, but that doesn't work.

What is the error_log saying?  What exactly doesn't work?

> Is there a specific way I have to reference it? Or a specific
> location it has to be in?

Depending on how you've set up the home directories (via automounter/
NFS, ...?) they might be treated equivalently to symlinks, so it
*could* have to do with "Option FollowSymlinks" (or "Option
SymLinksIfOwnerMatch") not being set for the directory in question.
Just an idea... the error_log you tell you more...

You've probably already made sure that it's not simply a permission
problem? -- the webserver is typically not running under a UID/GID
that would match those of your home directory, so you'd at least have
to open it up for "others" (r/x), or set up a common GID or something...

Cheers,
Almut