[Techtalk] Re: [Volunteers] The Techtalk list

jfweber at bellsouth.net jfweber at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 9 21:49:22 EST 2002

** On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:29:31 -0500 (EST) Raven Brooke <rbrooke at maine.rr.com>dashed off this message:

**And now we are suggesting a gender restricted list? I for one find that
**very offputting, not to mention sexist. I have been very happy to help
**when I could supply a suggestion, and most appreciative for answers
**received here. I have not wasted my time on this list speculating about
**the gender of the participants.

I must say, I never actually noticed that it IS a male dominated list.
I'm not sure if that means I've been well "trained" to accept such a
sytem or not <sigh> But it does seem to me to be relly off putting to
make all of linuxchix add to the status quo ..  I understand that
sometimes the messges may be answered by our male chix, but hey,...
nobody's perfect <G> And I would rather have one of the carefully
thought out answers from our brother chix than not get an answer at
all..  ALso I'd not like to see my husband invited off the list. THis
has been a place he feels comfortable asking questions . ( and has
becoem confident enough to do a complete linux install all by his
ownsome ... w/ me standing behind his chair every step if the way ( I
couldn't see what he was doing anyway <G>) I felt very proud of him
then, and of hte comfort level that linuxchic afford all chix , whatever
the gender...
I'll shut up and go lurk some more now ...

afterthought : I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.