[Techtalk] [val: Female-only techtalk]

Val Henson val at nmt.edu
Wed Jan 9 13:04:37 EST 2002

If you would like to join the discussion about a female-only techtalk
list, it's happening over on coordination at linuxchix.org.  Subscribe at:

The inaugural message is below.  Have fun!

-VAL

----- Forwarded message from Val Henson <val> -----

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:01:14 -0700
From: Val Henson <val>
To: coordination at linuxchix.org
Subject: Female-only techtalk

Let's discuss whether or not a female-only techtalk list would be a
good idea, how many people want it, and how it should be run if people
do want it.  Please note that the other issues in Jenn's email still
exist and should be addressed in their own threads on the appropriate
mailing list.

My view is that a girls-only list can be done, it has been done, and
it should be done.  My experience with the Systers mailing list
(www.systers.org) has been overwhelmingly positive.  So, yes, I think
it's a good idea.

How many people want it?  Enough to provoke Jenn's email.  Let's see
if the interest continues.

How should it be run?  The method systers uses is to ask each
subscriber to write a short paragraph stating that you are female and
technical.  The list manager reads this and then approves the
subscription request.  This avoids the case of men accidently (or
accidently-on-purpose) subscribing, which would require the list
manager to either junk the list charter, or forcibly unsubscribe a lot
of people.  Whatever method we do use to keep the list female-only
should have a reasonable way of screening out this class of
subscriber.  Requiring the list manager to hunt down and unsubscribe
men is a bad idea.

By the way, I volunteer to be the list manager for the new list, if it
gets off the ground.  If anyone else is interested in the job, great,
let Jenn (and me) know.

-VAL

----- End forwarded message -----