[Techtalk] compilers

Raven Brooke rbrooke at maine.rr.com
Fri Jan 4 19:06:39 EST 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Terri Oda wrote:

<snip>

> I don't want to be too discouraging here, but I've found, unfortunately,
> that sometimes you *have* to use what they suggest in order to get the
> results they want for courses.  It's unfortunate, but I can understand
> where they don't want the poor TAs having to support multi operating
> systems and compilers, and the functions can vary quite a bit from platform
> to platform even within a standardized language.  So before you take a leap
> and switch over completely, do make sure it's okay.  I haven't had many
> problems, partially because we were often asked to do assignments in Linux,
> but I did have a couple of courses that wanted us to use specific compilers
> and I had to either work in windows or go and test-run my code in the NT
> labs at school.  (One of these courses was an assembler course -- we were
> rather disgusted to discover that the syntax of the linux compilers we
> found and the (free) microsoft one we were supposed to use were quite
> different!)

</snip>

If you are programming c++ using Visual Studio, I believe you will have no
problem with KDevelop. I made the switch in my second year programming
class, and had no difficulties whatsoever. I was even able to open/work on
the programs in VS at school, then in KDevelop at home when working on
collaborations with a group.

KDevelop also looks a lot like VS, with nicer sytax highlighting, and is a
complete IDE.

It will even add the GPL in a header for you if you want  <g>

rav3n

 -- ***No, I will _not_ fix your webpage.***