[Techtalk] Mutt needs patching

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Thu Jan 3 13:44:51 EST 2002

Heya --

	All you mutt users should be aware of the remote-exploit
security bug found in Mutt recently.  It was announced yesterday on
Bugtraq.  Patches and new versions are available from
http://www.mutt.org.  I'm now running Mutt 1.2.5.1.  There are two
patched versions, 1.2.5 and 1.3.25, which is the beta version.  I had a
heck of a time trying to get the beta running on my system.  It went
something like this:

(for reference)
djinni# uname -a
FreeBSD djinni.oneeyedcrow.net 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #2: Mon
Aug 13 12:55:46 EDT 2001
ravenblack at djinni.oneeyedcrow.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/DJINNI  i386

djinni# ./configure
[snip the normal autoconf stuff, though I can post if anyone cares]
checking for catalogs to be installed...  de ru it es uk fr pl nl cs id
sk ko el zh_TW zh_CN pt_BR eo gl sv da lt tr ja hu et ca
configure: error: Unable to find an iconv function. See INSTALL for help
djinni#

	Fair enough, I don't have iconv.  So I go download it, and
install it.  The man pages are there, the install goes properly, no
errors or even visible warnings.

djinni# which iconv
/usr/local/bin/iconv

	Rerunning ./configure produces the same error.  I ran ldconfig
to update my known libraries, rm'd config.cache to get rid of that
cached error, and tried it again.  Same error.

	So I reread INSTALL and README, which say:

- Mutt needs an implementation of the iconv API for character set
  conversions.  A free one can be found under the following URL:

        http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/packages-libiconv.html

That URL doesn't work, but I do have iconv installed.  Also,

--disable-nls
        This switch disables mutt's native language support.

and

If you really want to, you can configure Mutt --without-iconv, but
there will then be no character set conversion.

	So I run ./configure --disable-nls --without-iconv (I don't need
it; I only get mail in English), and still I get the same error.  I ran
ldconfig again and removed config.cache again, but to no avail.

	Short of hacking the configure script itself, does anyone have
any suggestions as to what I could do to get that working?  It's not a
big deal, since I have a secure 1.2.5.1 working fine.  It was just
annoying, and I'm not that great at fixing compiling errors.

Quoth Jenn Vesperman (Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 07:08:54PM +1100):
> I knew mutt would 'do' html - I just didn't know -how-, and I've
> never bothered investigating setting it up.

	I force-dump mine so that I can see it in the plain-text window;
I can read the HTML tags so I know how it's "supposed" to look.  Brain
as browser.  Hee.

>From my .muttrc:

auto_view text/html

>From my .mailcap:

text/html; lynx -force_html -dump %s; copiousoutput

> I use mutt for my work email - and I work for a Linux-based company
> whose internal emails are invariably text-only.

	Same here, for the most part.  All the tech departments are
text-only, but Marketing and Sales have a tendency to occasionally send
out HTML mail to the all-employees mailing list.  Ah well.

Cheers,
Raven

"Ssh: The secure hell."
  -- typo from a newbie sysadmin who'd had it up to here with crypto
     library problems