[Techtalk] Re: mutt v. the world

Laurel Fan laurel at freeshell.org
Wed Jan 2 04:57:47 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:51:01AM +1100, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> True. It might be impossible to do a cross platform solution (right now
> I'm using a Windows 2000 box, using putty to ssh to my mutt inbox,
> fortunately connectivity is good), unless there's some obvious way to
> write files to a host Windows machine that I'm missing. This may leave
> remote mutt users in the same position they were before.

samba?

Of course, getting windows to work nicely with any non-windows OS is
always a bit annoying.  For work, I wrote, essentially, a remote
server starting script that had to allow starting servers on both
windows and solaris.  I hacked it up in perl using the perl samba and
ftp modules for file transfer, and various combinations of rexec and
rcmd (Win2k's rexec-like thing.  I forget if it's in the resource kit
or the support-whatever) to actually execute the servers.  The whole
mess never really worked well, and fortunately the windows requirement
was dropped.

laurel at sdf.lonestar.org