[Techtalk] Question on distro....

Ms. Piglet listpig at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 16:55:23 EST 2002

Sent this question last week to newchix which I thought was the logical
place, and got no answer whatsoever, so time to try the tech list....<g>

I'm about to recycle an IBM Thinkpad 365XD......

Trying to figure out a good major distro (but smallish) to install on the
Thinkpad for linuxchix coursework.  Don't want to use RH, simply because
that's Max (spouse)'s area of expertise, and I want my own territory. (That
may be
illogical and irrational, but there it is.....)

This box is a P120, 1.2gig HD, 32meg RAM, so size matters somewhat.
Smallest major to put on it that I've found is actually FreeBSD, but I'm
suspecting that for coursework I'll make myself fewer headaches if I stay
with linux.

I'm *thinking* that where I want to go is Debian potato, but I wanted to ask
and see if I'm missing something.  When I was working, my main desktop was
running Corel which is Debian anyhow, so I guess I'm biased that direction
already....

Suggestions? Help? I'm open......

--pig
--