[Techtalk] The Ark

James james at james-web.net
Sat Feb 23 20:14:04 EST 2002

Hiya all.

We have several web/SQL servers on our network.

What would be the easiest to create a system which would allow us to
regularly backup and save the backup to another server? (I'll call the
NFS server "The Ark"*)

I was thinking NFS for it, but I was unsure of how to do it (in terms of
architecture).

Should "The Ark" setup such that it mounts a drive on each server and
then copies the information from the remote drive to its own?  Or should
the remote copy to the The Ark?

Or should the web/SQL servers mount a drive on "The Ark" and copy their
stuff to "The Ark"?  Or should they a;; mount a drive on "The Ark" and
have "The Ark" copy stuff off?

(Basically it is a decision of who should mount or who and who should do
the push/pull.  Omg I just realized how misconstrued that sentence could
be).

Right now I'm actually tar+gzing the stuff myself and copying it to my
home computer, then burning it to CD.

- James

* Because we have the only server room in North America where flooding
is sometimes an issue :)  The backups aren't because of this, it is just
an inside joke and I think I find it a good classical reference :)