[Techtalk] VMWare under Mandrake

Gene Dolgner Gene.Dolgner at ArvinMeritor.com
Fri Feb 22 17:50:31 EST 2002

First of all, thanx to Liz and Malcolm for your suggestions to solve
this problem.  Between your suggestions and looking around on the Web, I
suspected that my X was too old.  My Mandrake 8.0 was using something
like XFree86 3.3.8 or 3.8 or something 3 like that.

I had several other nuisance problems, as well, and have hardware at
home to assemble into a new Linux box (to start moving away from my
other MS machines), so just decided to get Mandrake 8.1 and do the
upgrade.  The box noted that it contained XFree86 4.1, so I figured it
couldn't hurt.

Not only didn't it hurt, the upgrade was a breeze, and it fixed ALL the
nuisance problems!  I must say that Mandrake makes it easy to get Linux
within reach.  Nice package.

My only complaint with the upgrade is that now half of my HTML HowTo's
are missing, everything that starts with M thru Z.  Hmmmm.  I'm sure I
can get them off the Web somewhere, but I thought it odd that it would
just drop part of them like that.  Anyone else had this happen with
8.1?  Reinstalling just the documentation didn't help.

Thanx again, Gene