[Techtalk] Accessing Outlook mail folders from Linux?

Judith Elaine Bush bush at grey-cat.com
Fri Feb 22 12:17:29 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 12:04:19PM -0500, Terri Oda wrote:
> At 10:19 AM 22/02/02 -0500, you wrote:
> >Does anyone know of any linux mail programs which can
> >work out of the Outlook-style mail folders on my windows
> >partition?
> >Currently, all my mail archives, filters, etc. are set up in
> >Outlook Express, and I must confess that I rather like it
> >and would prefer to continue using that to access mail when
> >I'm in Windows.
>
> Well, I don't know offhand for OE, but if you end up switching, I know that
> Eudora for windows and Mutt share folders quite nicely.  There may even be
> a utility available to convert your filters.

If that's the case, then, while running linux, one can use mutt (or
any other email program with the mbox file format, see
http://www.qmail.org/qmail-manual-html/man5/mbox.html) with the email
directories set in windows disk space. Once back in windows land, one
can then import the mail by specifying that it's an Eudora mail
file. If it won't import as an Eudora file, try importing it as
Netscape. Ages ago, I read mail both with Netscape and emacs' VM
(another mbox format) happily.

Cheers,
judith