[Techtalk] Info : PCMCIA with new kernels

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Feb 20 15:14:33 EST 2002

Malcolm writes:
> All of it?
> In which case, what is the point of the in-kernal support?

For one thing, it's a lot easier to deal with if all your cards
happen to be in the supported list, since you don't have to
download and install additional packages.

I hope the used-to-be-supported cards get kernel support again in 2.5.
I think the intent is that eventually the cards whose support was
dropped will be supported by a non-pcmcia driver (e.g. the regular tulip
ethernet driver for tulip pcmcia cards) plus something generic in the
pcmcia driver.  I'm not clear why support was removed before this
mechanism was working, though.  It's certainly confusing the first
time you encounter it.

	...Akkana