[Techtalk] Re: [Newchix] Me Newbie - Hardware is my Quest

Beth E. Johnson ogoshi at bellatlantic.net
Wed Feb 13 08:44:11 EST 2002

Regarding eMachines, make sure you check out the configuration in
regards to expandibility.  The one my mom got a few years ago (she
didn't consult me before purchase) was adequately powered for 1 hd, 1
cdrom & floppy but the power supply would only support one more addition
(i.e. adding a cdrom but not a cdrom and backup hard drive).  It also
had limited PCI slots.

I do like the built-it-yourself route.  I got a PIII 900MHz and ASUS
motherboard for $300, added my old disks and splurged on a beautiful
case (brushed metal looking with chrome accents and clear lighted
buttons--with a hefty power supply!).  You can find 40G disks on sale
for around $80 and no-name floppy drives for $20.  I did get my memory
several months ago when they were practically giving it away so I've got
512, but a single stick of 128 should be terrific.  Get yourself an
anti-static wrist strap (<$10) and you're ready to build!

Regards,
Beth
who loves putting together new systems
--
Beth Johnson
Springfield, MA USA

This message was created and sent completely independent of Microsoft
products.
No electrons were harmed in the making of this message.