[Techtalk] serverless IP assignment?

Malcolm rannirl-lc at otherkin.net
Mon Feb 11 15:08:31 EST 2002

On Monday 11 February 2002 01:40 pm, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> Are you *sure* you can't pick 1 to always be the DHCP server,
> or assign fixed IPs?

How do you propose I pick one? Basically the user location has a collection
of boxes that they install. Number of machines on the network is not
predictable, nor is which machines is turned on first.

Predictable user skill level is around the "can plug in and turn on the
machine" level (I'm -very- glad I'm not doing tech support here). Asking them
to designate a server (and then reliably turn that machine on first) is not
really an option.

> Planning on rotating boxes through this environment, or
> something?

Basically I have no control over the actual environment. The boxes are
shipped to the locations and installed by the end users. There are
essentially no techs on location. The users may add or remove boxes at
random, or not turn one on, etc.

> 	How do you plan to ping before the network card is online?

I don't. As far as I know, you can ping with a conflicting IP (you'll
just get packets meant for other people too). So I can set them to default to
some IP, ping their randomly selected one, if there is no response from that
IP, they can keep it. (If there's another box with the same default IP
pinging a different target IP, it should be ignore as the return will not
come from the IP selected). Once a valid IP is gotten, the network cards can
be turned off and on again with the correct IP. (Then have to check for
collisions if another machine has grabbed the IP in the mean time).

Which is rather messy, but I haven't got a better solution yet. (Thus I am
asking here in the hopes someone is smarter than I am).

--
<<  This email is monitored by the US government under the auspice  >>