[Techtalk] gnome mail client

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Feb 8 19:34:43 EST 2002

[Reformatted a bit]

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 12:51:19PM -0500 or thereabouts, Davis, Jennifer wrote:
> From: tanvir_31337 [mailto:tanvir_31337 at yahoo.com]
> >  I'm looking for a gnome based mail client which is robust enough
> > to handle thousands of mails, gives facilities such as pop3/ smtp/
> > filtering in making folders and sub-folders, has a  nice interface
> > and good overall and it should be for a RHL 7.1 with kernel 2.2.
>
> Have you tried balsa?  I installed it on a friend's PC and it seems fine.
> Another one to try is Evolution.  Both are Gnome/GTK applications.  Although
> I have now used filtering, I know it exists in Evolution, but I think it
> exists in Balsa.

RH has balsa packages, so it would be worth getting the latest ones
for RH, since the 7.1 versions will be old. (They may be on the
powertools CD in 7.1: powertools was dropped in 7.2 and some of
it, including balsa, moved into the main CD set.)

Evolution has its own filtering; or you can use procmail to sort things
into folders and just use Evo to read through them. Evolution certain
does POP3. I believe balsa does too.

The other popular GNOME mailer (by which I assume you mean something
other than "mutt in a gnome-terminal" :)) is Sylpheed. I think that
lives on Sourceforge. I don't know its features.

I do recall being told, "If you like Outlook, get Evolution. If you
like Eudora, get Balsa. If you like (some other Windows mailer), get
Sylpheed" once, but I can't remember what the final one was :)

Telsa