Linux and Kids (Was Re: [Techtalk] My own Linux/Unixbookquestion...)

Megan Golding mgolding at secureworks.net
Wed Feb 6 10:45:00 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 18:39, derek a arnold wrote:
> Well, there have been projects that have introduced Python to kids like
> CP4E.

Neat concept! I went to http://www.python.org/cp4e/ and was disappointed
to learn the project is in limbo. That's ok with me, though as my
daughter is only 5 and Python is probably too advanced for her
Hopefully, the project will pick up by the time she's old enough to
understand "real" programming. :)

I'm still fascinated by using a computer to push a robot around...and I
know LEGO makes the MindStorms kits...anyone using them (esp with
Linux)? I saw one the other day with a vision system (camera) mounted on
a robot. How cool is that?!?!

Back to the programming idea, though -- maybe she'd enjoy creating her
own web site. Hmmm...I can imagine the headlines now -- "5 year-old
webmaster wows usability gurus"! Since she's not much of a reader yet, I
think I'll start with her directing the creation of the site. "Mommy,
put a picture here and make the background pink."

Oh yeah -- I caved and bought her a Rugrats Mystery game this past
weekend. Hey, it was only $4US, so I figure that though I'm not
encouraging "proper" computer use at least it didn't break the bank.

Thanks for the link and support!

Meg
--

Megan Golding (mgolding at secureworks.net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.
	-- Timothy Leary