[Techtalk] Re: Fun idea

Lisa lisa at lisalinux.net
Tue Feb 5 17:52:45 EST 2002

> 	I was pondering putting up a webcam in the mode of this one:
> http://paul.raqfaq.net/ to keep an eye on my cats.  Also, I wanted to be
> able to control the lights or other switches.  This guy's solution is
> windows based, but I was wondering if there were any linux solutions out
> there.  I haven't got the first idea where to look.
>
> 	Any suggestions would be most welcome.
>
> Jenn

First submission - hope I do this right!
We are using MisterHouse (http://www.misterhouse.net) here at home just for
that purpose - to control the lights and watch the cat.
It's an open source web-based home automation program that runs on Linux as
well as Windows 95/98/NT/2k/XP.  We are running it on RH 6.2 using the
recommended X10 hardware and it works great, although it did take some time
to install and configure.  It will do more than just lights and cameras - the
MisterHouse website is a demo with all the features and is very fun in
itself.  It includes some links to other home automation sites.

Best wishes!

Lisa
http://www.richnetworks.net/lisa/lisa5