[Techtalk] Linux Server Setup

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Mon Dec 30 15:34:40 EST 2002

At 5:13 AM +0000 12/30/02, Mohammad Shakir wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>I have pentium 4 pc with this hardware configuration, Intel D815
>GLLY montherboard, 1.7GHZ Intel Processor, 512 MB Ram, US Robotacs
>External Modem, 40GB Segate Hard Drive.
>
>Actually I want to run c cable network with 15 users, and I am
>facing problem in Linux configuration. When I run my Red Had Linux
>7.3 server without DCHP, DNS, Iptables, Squid services, it is
>running well, but when I configure that services, my server goes too
>slow, I do not know which service is creatin problem for my server.
>
>For all experts of Linux, I am sending herewith my DHCP, DNS,
>Iptables, Host, Resolve configuration files for review.

I'm not an expert in a lot of these specific servers, but my strategy
would be to try them one at a time, use a process viewer like 'top',
and see where and when the bottleneck occurs. Once you've identified
the problematic service - then a detailed look at the configuration
of that service would make sense. You've got a pretty zippy server
there, I don't see why things would slow down so much. Are you also
running X?
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner