[Techtalk] Network routing/bridging help...

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Sat Dec 28 18:44:34 EST 2002

At 16:30 12/28/2002, you wrote:
>We (helpful irc chix and I) cannot figure out how to do the routing
>on this, the most likely problem is that all of the IPs are on the
>same subnet.

You're really testing my memory but I believe you're probably right about
the subnet (depending on whether your Cisco is routing or bridging).  Have
you actually tried putting the Cisco and eth0 on one subnet with eth1 and
the local machines on another?

>Any advice, or pointers to good docs or books is welcomed (I've had a
>hard time finding good docs for this stuff, so that would be
>appreciated).

The best generic (hardware-independent) books I use are Douglas Comer's
Internetworking with TCP/IP... they're old and they're not cheap but Volumn
I (Principals, Protocols and Architecture) is a great resource for
understanding the various Internet protocols at this level.  ISBN:
0-13-468505-9, published by Prentice Hall.