[Techtalk] Re: Re: [Techtaklk] Bypassing ICMP Packet Bloackage

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Sat Dec 28 22:03:23 EST 2002

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 22:30:46 +0330
"Silvio Manuel" <Manuel_Silvio at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Basic connectivity test is not what I'm searching for. I need some way to
> tunnel through the node (my ISP) that blocks ICMP packets. I think there are
> no other ways to do a regular ping. Besides I need good tracer (something
> like VisualRoute) that does gather WhoIs info and resolves addresses to
> locations (like VisualRoute does).

Do a search on tcptraceroute. Its a package available for debian. You've never
mentioned which distribution you use, so if its not deb, then you'll need
to google.

If youre so attached to Visual Route then why not stick with it and the OS it
works on?

> I think they've disable ICMP
> somehow to protect against possible attacks (of what type I don't know).

 Plenty of types of icmp attacks. Smurf is the first one with a name that comes
to mind.

Hamster