[Techtalk] Largest hard drive useable with an Intel Celeron 466

Sun Dec 22 00:18:35 EST 2002

Hello All,

Am 20:28 2002-12-19 +0000 hat Alvin Goats geschrieben:

 >> I'm thinking of building a fileserver using an Intel Celeron 466 I have.
 >> What's the largest hard drive that I could use with that processor (or,
 >> if the answer is "depends", how do I find out)?

I have a GA-586HX/K2-200 on a 200 Mbit Network with nfs-user-server
and samba and run 2 IBM IC35L120AV which have 120 GBytes...

But only Ultra-ATA-33 :-(

 >SCSI controllers have similar issues for disk drives as MFM/RLL/ESDI. My
 >Adaptec AHA-2940AU has a limit of an 8GB disk, and a maximum of 7

???
Sorry, but I run on my Debian-Devel-Station three IBM's with
18 GByte... Better is, if you update your Adaptec-BIOS so can
use Drives up to 36 GBytes !!!

 >as well as the chip set. Firewire currently has a 200GB drive being
 >offered by Western Digital, so the capacities are much higher. And the
 >firewire can daisy chain up to 62 devices vs. the 7 I have. Hmmmmm
 >...... 200GB x 62 devices ... 12.4 TB? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I hve read, that they can omly sopport Ultra-ATA-100 and is limited
to 120 GByte... only 7440 Gbytes ;-))

 >And this methodology can be done on a 386SX-16 with linux, if you don't
 >mind waiting a few seconds or so. Just think, a 386SX-16 with a terabyte
 >of storage! ;)

Not possibel, because USB-Cards are only for 33MHz-PCI-Bus and
386 does not...

I hve tied to get a USB-Card on a 468dx2/66 running... Keyboard,
mouse and modem no problem... but USB-Drives !!!

They need very much power and need a minimal speed on the PCI-Bus.

Michelle