[Techtalk] Alsa question

Syleniel grrliegeek at elenari.net
Tue Dec 17 15:27:58 EST 2002

And it was said by /dev/null-->

> hi patricia
> i've been struggling with vaguely similiar things since discovering that
> mandrake has its own alsa and devfs - which makes installing 0.9 from
> source fun and games..... anyhow....

Yeah, I tried the install from source. There are two reasons I would
advise against it.
1 - It confuses the RPM database which causes problems later on with other
RPM installs (unless you build an RPM from the sources and go from there)
2 - I never could get alsaplayer or alsamixer to work after installing
from source. I got an error, I don't remember the exact wording, it was
along the lines of that it couldn't find the alsa libraries (heh). I tried
Googling, rtfm on the alsa site and asking about on the alsa list but I
couldn't find a solution to that.

So, I'm sticking with the Mandrake RPMs.

--
Syleniel