[Techtalk] Booting from CDROM

Meryll Larkin alwanza at oz.net
Tue Dec 17 10:45:36 EST 2002

12/17/02

Hi All,

The computer that I built as a Server is not booting from CDROM.  It did
boot from CDROM before there was an OS (RedHat Linux 7.2) on it, but now
that I want to UPGRADE, I'm having a difficult time.

When I upgraded on my Developer box (RedHat 7.3, a computer which I did
not build) I popped the CD into the CDROM and rebooted.  The computer
booted to the CD.

When I attempted the same with my Server, it booted to the hard drive
and did not read the CD.  I am annoyed that my server is not defaulting
to attempt to boot from a CD when a CD is in the CDROM drive at boot
time.  I suspect this is my fault.

When I run cat /etc/fstab on the Server and the Developer box, my
results are identical.  When I entered the BIOS during the boot process
and attempted to reset the primary master and slave, the boot process
would not continue after I made the changes (error message) - which is
what makes me think this is a hardware instead of a software issue.

I suspect that I neglected to make the harddrive the slave to the CDROM,
and I'm not sure if I should be messing with my cables, my jumpers, or
if there is some other piece of software I don't know about that I could
set.

Does this sound right?  When I open my Server should I try the jumpers
on the Harddrive first or the cables?

Meryll

--
Meryll Larkin