[Techtalk] Respawning ????

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Mon Dec 9 15:43:15 EST 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 10:38:07AM -0500, Andrew wrote:
> 	I have a newly installed Mdrk 8.0 on a P200 doing a weird thing.
>
> 	Message,* "init id "x" respawning to fast ; disabled for 5 minutes"*.
>
> 	What is this??

Look in /etc/inittab. The id it is giving you above will be the first
field of one of the lines (you will have a bunch of lines containing
things separated by colons -- the id is the thing before the first
colon).

Typically, id "x" is assigned to the xdm process (graphical login). If
that is not working for you, change the default runlevel to 3 (it will
currently be at 5) and then have a poke about in /var/log/messages to
see why X cannot start for some reason (or maybe X can start, but xdm
cannot, or ...). Some poking about in the logs will be required.

Malcolm

--
Quantum mechanics: the dreams stuff is made of.