[Techtalk] Uppercase to lowercase

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Dec 5 16:48:23 EST 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 04:18:55AM +0000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Maria Blackmore thought:
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Phil Savoie wrote:
>
> > Was wondering if anyone had a script they would like to share to convert
> > upercase filenames to lowercase?
>
> Hi
>
> I got a bit bored, so I hacked together some pretty (evil! ;) bash script
> to do it for you, it requires the GNU shell utils or an equivalent to be
> installed in order to work.  I think i've pretty much covered everything
> and tried to make it as safe as possible.  If you find any bugs, let me
> know :)
>
> run it with -h for usage, it'll probably be happiest in /usr/local/bin
> though i've made it not care where it is, and it won't mind what you call
> it.
>
> yes, it's so totally overengineered, but I loved the challenge :)

Yup.  I'm always doing that.  My "quick and dirty" wrapper script for
mkisofs and cdrecord now does the following:

Check the CDRW drive for a disk
Check the size of the CD in the drive
Check how much room the data needs
Complain if there's not enough room on the CDR
Check if there's enough room to make the CD image
Complain if there's not enough room to make the CD image
Complain if the image will overwrite an existing file
Offer to keep the image after burning the CD
Offer to burn another copy
Accept commandline switches
Burn direct to CD
Allow the CD size to be specified

At this point, the _handy_ script I wrote so I wouldn't have to remember
all the switches for mkisofs and cdrecord now has a bunch of options and
switches to remember!

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)