Assumptions when validating user data (Re: [Techtalk] SQL learning pointers)

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Dec 3 10:41:24 EST 2002

At 12/3/02 02:08 AM , Mary wrote:

>But please, optional state names/codes outside the US :) I've seen the
>reverse, where as soon as you select a non-US country, both the "zip"
>code and state forms are disabled which makes it hard or impossible to
>deliver Australian mail :)

This got me wondering about how I did this the last time I needed to. So I
went and checked, and I set it up like so:

Name, Address, City and Country are required. They all took free-form text
fields, because this was before I got hep to Web security. Then again, the
results of that form were just getting put into an email, not run through
any SQL statements, so an unescaped apostrophe wouldn't cause any mischief
anyway.

The fields labeled "State/Province" and "Postal Code" are optional on the
form. However, if "Country" is set to either "USA" (the default) or
"Canada", then the processing script will ask for them if they're not
filled out. (Seems like I should have added Australia to that.)

Seems reasonable?

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Before you slip into unconsciousness,
  I'd like to have another kiss,