[Techtalk] [OT] HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 31 11:22:27 EST 2002

Meredydd Luff wrote:

> Wow - talk about informative...thanks! :-)
>
> Could I make a suggestion, though (even though I'm the wrong sex :-P):
> About the section about brain differences, I don't necessarily agree that the
> studies are rubbish - the very basic sex-your-brain test at the London
> science museum was spookily accurate for such a simple test. My view on it is
> that this means precisely sod all about your ability in computing.

The problem with such tests, from a feminist perspective, is that we
don't
know if "female brains" perform such tests "in a female manner" because
of
"female socialization" or "innate female brain structure".

What feminists have learned over the past several centuries is that
women
and men are treated differently.  Biologists know that brain structure
isn't fixed.  So it is not inconceivable that a "female brain" is simply
"female socialized brain" and that there is very little or no "innate
female brain structure".
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.