[Techtalk] Administration, was Re: Hacked on Solaris

James jas at spamcop.net
Wed Aug 28 18:22:00 EST 2002

On 28 Aug 2002, Poppy wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 09:36, Caitlyn Martin wrote:
>
> s I've used before to try and make up and remember.
> >
> > Agreed 100%.  Central authentication (login once, access all but
> > super-critical stuff) should be done everywhere, but it isn't.
> > Sometimes the company is too cheap with the time or resources needed.
> > Sometimes the admins simply don't know how to do it.
> >

> And a good portion of the time, I'd suspect (not being an admin myself
> who has to deal with it), the programs themselves make central
> authentication difficult.
>
> After all, just to boot up at work, I have to log on to the network, log
> on to our customer database, and log on to the Domino server. That's 3
> different software/security protocals to jump through, and if they all
> relied on the Windows authentication, we'd all be in trouble :P

One of the big selling points of Novell's Netware/NDS was supposed to be
"single sign on": you would have *A* username/password combo, which you
would use for logging on under Windows, Mac or Linux, getting mail via
POP/IMAP, connecting over VPN and probably making coffee too.
Unfortunately, Netware seems to be a dying breed these days except in
universities...?

James.