[Techtalk] Window Managers ... again

Caitlyn Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Wed Aug 28 12:26:38 EST 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:02 +0200
BUNTER MATTHEW <Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com> wrote:

> --- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             28/08/02
> 15.02

> I'm trying to find a Window Manager for my laptop that :
>
> a) isn't too resource hungry (2.5M graphics card, P500 with 128M RAM).
>
> b) is for the users who don't like to use the mouse much. I would like
> to keep my hands on the keyboard as much as possible.
>
> and finally
>
> c) is fairly 'pretty'. I read a lot of pdfs and have found minimalist
> window managers don't display images and diagrams very well.

I second Dan's recommendation of IceWM.  http://www.icewm.org  It's the
one I mostly use.  Pick up Vadim Kholov's configuration tools
http://xvadim.newmail.ru/index.html
and, more importantly IcePref.  See the utilities page off of the main
IceWM page for those.  You'll probably need to do an rpmfind search (or
apt-get for Debian) for IcePref.

Other ones worth looking at are aewm:
http://www.red-bean.com/~decklin/aewm/

and Efsane II:  http://efsane.sitebest.com/maineng.php

I have tried all of the above, and they are lightweight enough to run on
a 75MHz 486 with 16MB of RAM :)

All the best,
Caity