[Techtalk] apt-get problem - help!

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Thu Aug 22 21:16:44 EST 2002

Kathryn:
> I am getting the following error when I attempt to run
> apt-get update
>
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room

I've not seen that one, but according to Jason Gunthorpe (jgg at debian.org)
apt uses a fixed memory cache to store package information. Depending on
your apt version, this can be just about anything but is often set at an
arbitrary 6MB.
	Fortunately (he says) it's just a configuration option:
Cache-Limit
	What's not clear to me is how to set it. Maybe the -o command line
option will work when invoking apt-get, or perhaps you can figure it out
by reviewing /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/foo -- or maybe some invocation
of apt-configure will do the job.
	Jason didn't say, and I don't know!