[Techtalk] Problems with qt

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Wed Aug 21 05:00:04 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Sujita Purushothaman (Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 04:35:51PM +0800):
>       I want to install KWanda and I'm stuck because the
> 'configure' script tells me it doesn't find qt >= 2.2.2. I have
> qt-3.0.3 installed, and qt-devel-3.0.3 too.  Specifically it tells
> me it cannot find -lqt.
> I suspect the problem is because I had once force installed (rpm)
> a lower version of qt.  To install KWanda I force installed (rpm)
> qt-3.0.3 again. Since my rpm -qa query tells me qt-3.0.3 is installed,
> my logic says it should work. Only it is not working.

	Did you install both the development package and the main qt for
3.0.3?  Or just the main package?  I don't know how Red Hat handles this
with RPMs, but here are two things you could try.

1)	From the command line, run

ldconfig

This tells your system basically to check its libraries and see if
you've installed any new ones it wasn't aware of.  If you're building
from source and have just installed a library you needed (like your new
qt), running ldconfig and clearing out the old config.cache can often
fix the problem.

2)	Check your symlink for qt.  Doing an ls -al in /usr/lib (on my
Slack system) I see:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Jun 18 16:45 qt -> qt-3.0.3/
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root         4096 Jun 18  2001 qt-2.3.1/
drwxr-xr-x   12 root     root         4096 Mar 27 16:49 qt-3.0.3/

	You may just have to delete the symlink and recreate it pointing
at the right qt.  (I'd think rpm would do this for you, but I'm not
super-knowledgeable about rpm.)

	Hope one of those helps.

Cheers,
Raven

"And if I make it, I'm going to get a big Mr.-T-like gold Amulet of
 Yendor replica made up and strut around in it.  Fifteen years, no
 ascension."
  -- on my best roguelike game ever